Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A "Budget" Dinner

Since I shared my couponing secrets with you I thought I'd give you a peek at one of our budget dinners.  I made it this week and figured out that this delicious, balanced dinner cost about $2 per family member.  That really is amazing to me!  I'll break it down for you....

* Pork Tenderloin- 2 come in a pack.  I usually break them up and put each in a freezer bag.  I purchased a Tyson port tenderloin at Walmart for $9.  I only cooked 1 so that's $4.  I marinated the pork tenderloin in a sesame ginger marinade that I got FREE from Dominicks.  See the next bullet point for an explanation of how.


*I made a bag of whole grain rice that I got for FREE from Dominicks.  I got a coupon flyer in my mailbox a few weeks ago and there were several coupons for FREE items and others were $1.  It was a very uninteresting flyer and one that could have easily been thrown away but because I took the time to read it first I scored some GREAT deals...and HELLO....FREE STUFF!  LOVE IT!

*Last but not least I chose a few veggies I had in my veggie drawer to stir fry.  I used about half a red pepper, 1 small bunch of broccoli, half of a yellow onion and a handful of baby carrots.  It was about $4 in vegetables and that is a high estimate.


It was a delish dinner and my kids even ate it.  I had enough left over for lunch the next day too!

Just a little note about the flyer I got in the mail.  One of the coupons on it was $10 off your purchase of $50 or more.   I told you yesterday I got one online.  That makes 2 of the same coupons I got to used 2 weeks in a row.  Sweeeeeeet!  In this same flyer there was $4 off frozen chicken breasts, a free 24 ounce jar of salsa, a free large bottle of salad dressing and plenty more!  I know there had to have been several Dominicks customers who got this same flyer, figured it was just an ad and threw it away.  Big mistake!


I will stop blogging about my coupon craziness now.  (OK...maybe I will mention it a few more times if I stumble across a GREAT deal)

1 comment:

Sara said...

I don't think you should stop! Awesome!! Wish I had a Dominick's to use those great coupons!